Reducing your carbon footprint is always an ongoing process and nobody's perfect. We are always working to reduce our footprint and here's 5 easy ways you can get started!
TAKE A HIKE
1. Reduce the amount you drive by walking, biking, or taking public transportation when possible. According to the EPA, the typical passenger vehicle emits 4.6 metric tons (10,141 pounds) of CO2 per year. This adds up quickly when you think of all the cars on the road! In addition to helping the environment, there are a ton of benefits to getting more exercise, both physically and mentally. Your body and the earth will thank you!
GET A LITTLE STINKY... BUT NOT TOO STINKY
2. Wear clothes more than once before throwing them in the wash, and when you do laundry (please don't stop washing your clothes altogether, that's un-hygienic and we don't want people to start avoiding you), wash your clothes in cold water to help reduce the amount of energy needed.
DITCH THE PLASTIC
3. Use a reusable shopping bag. According to Penn State University, Americans use around 10 billion (that's billion with a B) plastic shopping bags each year. This is the equivalent of cutting down 14 million trees per year. Be part of the solution on both ends by reducing the use of plastic bags AND planting trees at the same time with the Unus munduS tote bag.
TURN DOWN THE HEAT
4. Turn down your thermostat by a degree or two. There are numerous benefits to this, such as reducing your carbon footprint by reducing the energy needed to heat your room, saving you money on energy costs, and there are multiple studies that show sleeping in a cooler room has health benefits and leads to a better night of sleep.
5. Plant trees to offset your carbon usage - nobody will ever be completely carbon neutral on their own. We all emit carbon by living, breathing, and eating on our planet earth. One easy way you can offset your carbon usage is by planting trees! We enable you to easily do that with our carbon offset packages, found here. Planting 25 trees per month will offset most Americans average monthly carbon output.
This is a win win as it not only helps the environment by offsetting carbon, but the trees are planted by those in need of employment through our tree planting partner, Eden Reforestation Projects.
Although little actions might not seem like they are making much of a difference, little actions compound and can create massive, positive change - especially when everybody does their part. Keep spreading the word and thank you for being part of the Unus munduS family!
Have other ways you are offsetting your carbon output or helping the environment in general? We'd love to hear about it! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or head over to our Contact Us page to fill out a form with your message and get in touch.